Children of all ages adore stirring-up the batter! To prevent ingredients from spilling on the countertop, give your child an extra large mixing bowl. Put a wet cloth under a bowl to keep it from slipping. Premeasure some of the ingredients, so children can start mixing quickly.
To entertain your children while the cupcakes are baking, help them put the ingredients away and wash up.
! The batter contains raw eggs. Explain to children that raw eggs can make us sick and look after them, to prevent licking the bowl or spoon!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup solid shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine cream shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
3. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Add bananas and dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing until just combined.
5. Place paper baking cups in muffin tin or lightly coat with cooking spray. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until muffins are golden brown. Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and place on a cooling rack.